The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe railroad company built the bunkhouse structure in 1922 to provide shelter for the employees who maintained the railroad. This is one of several such facilities built for each section ten to thirty miles apart. The bunkhouse, one of the few remaining, included 11 units and an adjacent foreman’s house. The drawings below are by Chris Palacioz, grandchild of an original, resident who shared vivid recollections of the workers, their families and the community with subsequent owners of the bunkhouse. Click on each to enlarge the photos.